Monday, January 26, 2015

Joys of Winter -- Vintage Photography of NYC and Washington, DC

A few months ago, I stumbled across these vintage B&W photos of snowy New York City and Washington DC street scenes from the early 1900's.  I think they are positively fabulous and entertaining, for so many reasons!  With a major blizzard forecasted to descend on the Northeast as I write this, and all the media hype concerning the hassles and inconveniences of snow, these marvelous photos are great reminders of the timeless joys of winter.

And, of course, the accessories designer in me can't help checking out the fashions! All the fun berets and scarves!

The photos appear to be by an anonymous photographer, being offered on Etsy as scans and digital downloads. All images are via HistoryPhoto.


Vintage photograph of winter in Madison Square Park, NYC. 1902. Source: HistoryPhoto.

Vintage photograph of winter in Washington, DC. 1922. Source: HistoryPhoto.

Vintage photograph of winter in NYC. 1900. Source: HistoryPhoto.
Vintage photograph of ice-skaters in Washington, DC. 1925. Source: HistoryPhoto.


Vintage photograph of winter in Central Park, NYC. Source: HistoryPhoto.

As some of you know, I'm a big fan of photography, especially B&W photography. I've also done and exhibited photography myself in the early 2000'. I think that these images are really splendid.


Now open: Elena Rosenberg Wearable Fiber Art online POP-UP SHOP.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, they are just enchanting! So clear, too. My Dad had a darkroom and he taught me how to develop film when I was a teenager. There was a paper that was really expensive that had some silver content in it and it was very smooth like these photos. I can't remember the brand anymore, but I know that it wasn't Kodak. These people look like they are having so much fun!

DiGilio Designs said...

Elena, thank you for posting this group of photos! I love the berets also.

Post a Comment